Saturday, August 12, 2017 (rain date: Sunday, August 13, 2017)
Riverfront Marina Newburgh-Beacon Institute Dock
(REGISTRATION WILL OPEN FOR THE 2017 SWIM IN APRIL.)
Benefiting the operation and maintenance of the River Pool at Beacon
A wonderful opportunity for experienced swimmers to swim about one mile (72 lengths of a standard 25 yard pool) across the Hudson River and raise funds to benefit the non-profit volunteer organization River Pool at Beacon,
- Swimmers: Register Here
- Kayak Escorts: Register Here
- Log In/Check your Account
- Donate to a Swimmer’s Campaign
- Donate/Become a Member
We are unable to accommodate walk-ups on August 6.
Thank you swimmers, kayakers, volunteers and supporters during the previous 11 events. See your 2015 swim times here.
Click on the following categories for additional information:
NON-REFUNDABLE SWIMMER REGISTRATION FEES:
- Adults: $60
- Youth ages 10-17: $25 (MUST ADHERE TO ALL MINOR POLICIES)
NON-REFUNDABLE SWIMMER SPONSORSHIP FEES:
- IN ADDITION TO THE REGISTRATION FEE, ALL SWIMMERS MUST RAISE A MANDATORY MINIMUM OF $100
- NO REGISTRATION OR SPONSORSHIP FEES FOR KAYAK ESCORTS
- Swimmers Register Here
- Kayak Escorts Register Here
If you pay by check, complete the online registration process, and your registration will become active when we have a cleared check payable to: River Pool at Beacon, PO Box 173, Beacon, NY 12508.
Registration before swim day is mandatory. We cannot register walkups on August 6
Swimmers: Set up a personal donation page to track online contributions.
- Mail pledge checks to: River Pool at Beacon PO Box 173, Beacon NY 12508, and/or
- Bring sponsor contributions to swim check-in on August 6
- Make checks payable to River Pool at Beacon
- Indicate the sponsored swimmer’s name on the check
REQUIRED CHECK-IN FOR SWIMMERS:
- 7:45 am – 10:00 am
- At the Newburgh Waterfront. Water St, Between 3rd St and 4thSt. (Plaza between UNICO park and Newburgh Landing).
- Come early enough to park and complete the check-in process. Expect Check-in to take up to 30 minutes.
- Minimum $100 required donation must be complete to check-in.
- Download the general swim waiver here.
REQUIRED CHECK-IN FOR KAYAK ESCORT VOLUNTEERS:
- 8:30 am – 10:15 am
- At the Beacon Waterfront, Long Dock Park.
- Kayakers will cross to Newburgh for a 10:30 am in-water swimmer/kayaker safety demonstration.
- From Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, 1.8 miles south on Route 9D, right on Beekman St., right on Red Flynn Drive, then immediate left on Long Dock Road.
- Kayak escorts should register on-line before swim day Come early enough to park and complete the check-in process.
- Kayakers are encouraged to attend a 1-hour safety presentation at: Beacon Institute for Rivers and Estuaries (199 Main St. Beacon, NY) Wednesday, August 3, 7:00 pm
- NEWBURGH CHECK-IN STATIONS are for SWIMMERS ONLY. Kayak escorts not launching from Long Dock Park are not considered part of the event.
- Estimated Splash-In: August 6, 11:20 am
- Determination of the Splash-In time estimate is according to Slack Before Flood predictions
For Kayak Escorts Under Age 18:
- Youth, age 13-17, are permitted to participate provided they register and a parent or guardian signs a waiver.
- Minors aged 10-12 may only participate in a two-person kayak, provided a parent or guardian signs a waiver and there is an adult in the kayak.
- No kayakers under the age of 10.
For Swimmers Under Age 18:
- All Minors and their parent or guardian are required to sign a waiver.
- Swimmers, age 10-17, must have CERTIFICATION OF ABILITY SIGNED BY A COACH OR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR. Download a certification of ability form here Certification of Ability.
- Swimmers, age 10-12, must have CERTIFICATION AND ADULT ESCORT WHO REMAINS IN WATER WITH MINOR until minor is out of water in Beacon.
- We cannot register any swimmers under the age of 10.
* We will have permission from the US Coast Guard to cross the river.
- All swimmers and kayakers should regularly check the swim status on the web site, riverpool.org, for updates, especially the day before the swim. You can also find us on Facebook.
- The River Pool is a 501c3 tax-exempt organization and has federal and state permits in place. The prototype floating pool will be open to the public again this summer. Our collected dollars are making a difference. Thanks for your dedication!
- If you have friends and family dropping you off, they can watch the splash-in and then drive across the bridge to Beacon to watch you come out of the water.
- Celebrate afterwards! We provide a light snack and water at the Beacon Waterfront. Other food and beverages available for purchase at the waterfront and in Beacon.
Have a question? Check our Frequently Asked Questions page. Didn’t find your answer on our FAQ page? Need further information? Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice and train for the swim now!
- Swimmers are urged to bring kayaker escorts if possible. Have your escort register on-line before swim day.
- Don’t forget to bring a towel and sunscreen.
- The water temperature is expected to be between 75 and 80 degrees.
- Check the swim route here.
From NYC and points between NYC and Beacon:
Metro-North Hudson line trains:
- Leaving Grand Central Station 6:43 am; 7:43 am, arriving in Beacon 8:11; 9:16 am
Metro-North Hudson line trains:
- Leaving Poughkeepsie 7:50 am; 8:50, am arriving in Beacon 8:08 am; 9:08 am
A shuttle, located across from the train station on the river side, will make 1-2 trips to Newburgh check-in between 8:30 am and 9:30 am
A shuttle will take swimmers from Beacon to Newburgh post-swim between 12:15 pm and 1:15 pm
Need Driving Directions?
Enter your start address here.
Visit the Entry Requirements, Special Rules, and Procedures page for more detailed information on:
- Minors Age 13-17
- Entry Requirements for Kayakers
- Procedures for Participating Marine Vessels
- Precedures for Kayakers
- Procedures for Swimmers
- Proactive Procedures to Prevent an Emergency Situation
- Emergency Response Procedures
Have a question? Check our Frequently Asked Questions page. Didn’t find your answer on our page? Need further information? Send an email to: email@example.com